Back in Service
In last year’s July- August bill insert we told you about the generator fault in Unit One at the Wells Project. The damage from the fault was too great to repair in place, so we had to rebuild the generator. Rebuilding a generator entails replacing the stator winding with new coils, restacking the stator core with new electrical steel and re-insulating and refurbishing the rotor poles.
As a reminder the Wells Hydroelectric Project has ten generating units. Each unit has a turbine and a generator. The pressure of river water on turbine blades spins the turbine shaft and the generator rotor. The rotor poles, which are large electro-magnets, move past the stationary copper windings in the generator stator producing high voltage electricity.
We are happy to report Unit One is back in service. Based on the age and test results of the other nine generators, we have determined they are nearing the end of their useful service lives and should be rebuilt to avoid an unexpected outage of a unit.
We learned a lot rebuilding Unit One. This knowledge will be useful as we rebuild the other nine generating units. We anticipate these preventative maintenance actions will keep the Wells Hydroelectric Project running smoothly well into the future and continue to provide low-cost reliable electric service to the residents of Douglas County.
It doesn’t take money to save money on summertime energy bills. Here are some things you can do for free to slash your electric bill:
- Raise your thermostat by two degrees to reduce your cooling costs by up to five percent.
- Clean or change air conditioning filters regularly. Dirty filters cause air conditioners to work harder and use more energy.
- Remove dust from the coils of your refrigerator and freezer so they operate more efficiently.
- Close your blinds during the heat of the day and open your window during the cool evening to give your air conditioner a rest.
- Turn off heat producing lights and home computers when not in use.
- Fire up the barbecue grill to move cooking outdoors.
- Adjust your dishwasher so dishes dry without heat.